By Leo Babauta
It’s easy to get upset at someone who has hurt you — but what’s the best way to get them back? What kind of revenge, served cold perhaps, can you dream up?
I recently had someone write to me about this:
“Recently one of my family members hurt me badly. They believe I am an easy target since I don’t want to retaliate or cause conflicts. My question is should I take the risk of getting revenge, knowing that it is never ending (not the b…
Everyone has times when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s OK, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of life.
With that being said, here are some tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice each day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work better than other music, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a great habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you simply do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your head and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are down. Try and practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.