“We are used to thinking of thinking as a good thing, as that which makes us human. It can be quite a revelation to discover that so much of our thinking appears to be boring, repetitive, and pointless while keeping us isolated and cut off from the feelings of connection that we most value.” ~Mark Epstein
A lot of people have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you need to have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your happiness with. What is black without white?
Even though you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice each day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you like. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain kinds of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up while you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.