“In a retreat situation, you are forced to come face to face with yourself, to see yourself in depth, to meet yourself.” ~Lama Zopa Rinpoche
When I was at university, doing a ten-day silent Vipassana meditation retreat was considered a hardcore rite of passage only the toughest among us attempted. Those who lasted the …
People have days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s alright, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of life.
With that said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Research have shown that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain into the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling sad. Try and practice them each and everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these quick exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.