“Rugged and hostile environments teach us. And they teach us by leveraging real fear.”
– Michael Gervais
Michael Gervais (@michaelgervais) is the performance psychologist elite athletes and coaches turn to when they want to level up …
A lot of folks have days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. What is black without white?
While you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of life.
With that being said, here are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Analyses have demostrated that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, realize that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these quick exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.