“Be there. Be open. Be honest. Be kind. Be willing to listen, understand, accept, support, and forgive. This is what it means to love.” ~Lori Deschene
They say your heart pounds when you’re in love.
But the very idea of opening up and letting love in can bring on the wrong kind of palpitations….
People have days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. What is black without white?
Even though you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your head and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling sad. Try to practice them each and everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.