By Leo Babauta
As a vegan for the last five years (and veg for a decade), I’ve learned a bit about being healthy and strong on plants.
For those who would like to learn about it, I’m offering this guide (as a non-expert fellow learner).
I had a reader write to me about becoming vegetarian, and say that he went back to the gym and feels very weak. They didn’t like the feeling they got after eating meat, so wanted a change, but they’re worried about feeling…
A lot of folks have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you need to have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of our lives.
With that being said, here are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain types of music work better than other music, but experiment and see what works for you. Analyses have demostrated that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is a fantastic habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event that you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling down. Attempt to practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.