“Regret is a fair but tough teacher.” ~Brene Brown
A few weeks back, I found myself in the midst of a shame hangover and, like most people, when I’m in that unique internal cavern, self-judgments swoop into my consciousness like a colony of rabid bats in a four-foot tent.
I’ll paint the picture…
A lot of folks have times when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s okay, you need to have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that being said, below are a few tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain types of music work cooler than others, but experiment and find out what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a fantastic habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain into the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your head and you do have the power to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.