By Leo Babauta
As much as we desire being connected to others — good friendships, a wonderful romantic relationship, close family members — this connection always comes at a cost.
We get frustrated by other people.
You know it’s true. You might be really good friends with someone, but then they get angry at you for some reason, or they behave without consideration, and all of a sudden, your mood is much darker. You’re not happy with them, maybe they’re not …
A lot of people have days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s alright, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your happiness with. What is black without white?
Although you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of our lives.
With that being said, here are a few tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice every day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work better than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Research show that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an outstanding habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. In the event that you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are down. Try to practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take a chance.