Jake and his parents arrive early for their appointment with a list of concerns to review in our limited time together. I encourage patients and families to bring lists; a list keeps all of us focused. Their number one concern is Jake’s weight, which has increased significantly since he started on Abilify (aripiprazole). We tried to avoid using a medicine like this that causes weight gain, but he was still struggling tremendously. The addition of Abilify changed things dramatically for …
People have days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s OK, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of our lives.
With that said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Research show that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your head and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Try and practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.