“Life can only be understood backwards, but must be lived forward.” ~Soren Kierkegaard
On my first day back in college, I sat on a bench outside a classroom and wrote in a tiny notebook. Glancing around at the young students lining up, my sunglasses slid down my nose as I hurriedly scribbled the thoughts buzzing…
Everyone has days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s alright, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. What is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of life.
With that said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice every day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music and new age music work great.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all with what you do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are down. Try to practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take a chance.