This post contains a few things that didn’t make it into Tools of Titans (#1 NYT), pulled from more than 300 cuts.
Please excuse casual grammar. This is how all people sound in-person, even uber-smart ones. The below quotes weren’t copyedited for the book, as they didn’t make it in (…
A lot of folks have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of life.
With that said, below are a few tips to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice each day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Analyses have shown that Classical music and new age music work great.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. If you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.