By Leo Babauta
Dropping any story or narrative in your head about what’s happening right now … what are the sensations you’re feeling at this moment?
What are you smelling, tasting, feeling, hearing, seeing? What colors, textures, qualities of light can you perceive? What does it feel like where your body makes contact with your clothing, with your chair, with the earth?
This is your pure sensory experience, and it is rare that most of us let ourselves just sta…
People have times when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s alright, you need to have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work better than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these quick exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take a chance.