Note from the editor: The following is a guest post by Ryan Holiday. Ryan (FB/IG/TW: @RyanHoliday) is the bestselling author of six books, including The Obstacle Is the Way, Ego Is the Enemy and The Daily Stoic. His books are used by many NFL teams, including the Seahawks and Patriots, an…
People have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s OK, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.
With that said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice each day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies show that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a fantastic habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain into the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be surprised at how these quick exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.