Psychoanalyst Adam Phillips on how Darwin and Freud reframed our mortality as an organizing principle of human life.
Our lifelong struggle to learn how to live is inseparable from two facts only: that of our mortality and that of our dread of it, dread with an ed…
Everyone has days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s alright, you need to have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
Although you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice every day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a great habit to develop. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are sad. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.