By Leo Babauta
Living a life of simplicity can be a beautiful thing. But simplifying itself can seem like an overwhelming process.
So I recommend simplicity in your simplifying.
Instead of trying to simplify your whole life, tossing out all your clutter and paring your schedule to just meditation and writing your novel … how about just simplifying one thing?
Simplifying one thing is doable. You don’t have to simplify everything today — you’ve got ages …
People have days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s okay, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment and find out what works for you. Analyses have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an outstanding habit to build up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up while you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them each and everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.