By Leo Babauta
I started simplifying my life in 2005, about 12 years ago, and since then I’ve not only learned a lot about it, but have written books on simplicity as well. It’s been one of the best changes I’ve made in my life.
Simplicity has brought less stress, more peace, better finances, more focus, and most importantly … space in my life for what’s most important to me.
Some of the key things I’ve been able to do because of simplicity:
A lot of people have days when they are down, broken and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of life.
With that said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain kinds of music work better than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up while you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.