“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” ~Victor Hugo
Last year, my life was in ruins.
I had to visit two different hospitals almost every day of the week. At noon, I’d watch my grandmother suffering on her deathbed. In the evening, I’d sit beside a close friend who’d fallen off a bui…
Everyone has days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s okay, you need to have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. What is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.
With that being said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Analyses have shown that Classical music plus new age music work best.
5. Have some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Try to practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.