By Leo Babauta
You haven’t been very productive lately, admit it.
You’ve been watching too many videos, cruising your favorite social media, haven’t exercised in too long … you’re slipping, my friend.
I’ve got the fix for you. Mini-missions.
Here’s how it works:
You set yourself a few mini-missions for the day. For example: 1) Write Zen Habits post, 2) Workout, 3) Shoot video lesson for Sea Change Simplify Your Life course. I…
People have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.
With that being said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice every day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain kinds of music work better than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an outstanding habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you simply do. In the event that you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in to the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your head and you do have the power to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.