An evening of poetry celebrating great scientists and scientific discoveries, read by beloved artists, writers, and musicians.
On April 24, 2017, I joined forces with the Academy of American Poets and astrophysicist Janna Levin to host The Universe in Verse at Brooklyn’s Pioneer Works — an evening of poetry celebrating great scientists and scientific discoveries, and a protest against the silencing of science and the defunding of the arts, with all proceeds benefiting the Academ…
A lot of people have days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s alright, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. What is black without white?
Although you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of our lives.
With that said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an excellent habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling down. Try and practice them each and everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.