By Leo Babauta
Recently, I finished reading Book 7 of the Harry Potter series with my youngest daughter Noelle. We cried, laughed, gasped in shock, cried some more.
It was quite a journey, reading all seven books with her, and it took us four or five years.
Amazingly, it was my fourth time through the series. I read all 7 books with four of my kids, taking several years each time through.
I absolutely love the Harry Potter series, and have had the immense pleasure and hon…
Everyone has times when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s alright, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
While you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of our lives.
With that said, here are some tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain kinds of music work better than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Research have shown that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to develop. It will serve you in all with what you do. If you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain into the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up while you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.