“Our way to practice is one step at a time, one breath at a time.” ~Shunryu Suzuki
Sitting meditation has always been challenging for me; practicing mindfulness, even harder.
As a self-confessed worrywart who has contended with constant ruminations, flashbacks, and nightmares for most of my life (more on this l…
People have days when they are down, broken and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
Although you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Analyses have shown that Classical music plus new age music work best.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to develop. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are feeling down, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are down. Try to practice them each and everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these quick exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.