By Leo Babauta
One of the most important life skills to develop, for those just starting out in life (and everyone else!), is the skill of self-discipline.
It’s like a superpower: when I developed some self-discipline, I started exercising and eating healthier and meditating and writing more, I quit smoking and ran marathons, I started a blog and wrote books, I read more and work earlier, I decluttered and transformed my finances. I’m far from perfect, but I’ve learne…
A lot of people have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
While you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of life.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Research have shown that Classical music plus new age music work best.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a fantastic habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in to the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.