“Nothing will give us more meaning in life than to know that we matter for others.”
– Esther Perel
I’ve wanted to speak with psychotherapist Esther Perel for years.
In a cover story, The New York Times called her the most…
A lot of folks have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s alright, you need to have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
While you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of life.
With that being said, here are a few tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain types of music work better than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Analyses show that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain into the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, realize that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are down. Attempt to practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.