By Leo Babauta
Most people get hung up because of a few reasons:
A task or project is too intimidating/overwhelming, so they put it off.
Sticking to new habits is hard, so they fail after a week or two.
Life becomes overwhelming, because there’s so much to do, so many choices.
The problems with these common situations is that we take the big picture, the overwhelming nature of it all, and use it as a reason to not do anything.
Instead, I’ve found it useful to pick …
A lot of folks have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s alright, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
Although you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of life.
With that being said, below are a few tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain types of music work better than others, but experiment and find out what works for you. Studies show that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an outstanding habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Try to practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these quick exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.