We all crave meaning and purpose in our lives, but many of us have difficulty finding it.
Often times without meaning, we can fall into a “nihilistic trap” of thinking nothing in our life really matters and we are just mindless machines going through the motions.
However according to the new book The Power of Meaning: Crafting a Life That Matter…
People have days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s okay, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of life.
With that being said, here are a few guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Analyses have shown that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these simple exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.