Helen, a 22 year old young lady, leans forward toward me — she is sitting in the chair I usually occupy during our sessions — and spills out details of an interaction with a customer she helped at her retail job. She speaks quickly and loudly and offers rich, often excessive details about what happened. I interrupt occasionally to ask for clarification or to redirect her back to our conversation about her medications, and she stops to answer my question but makes sure to come back to fini…
People have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, easy to practice each day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain kinds of music work better than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Analyses show that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Have some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.