By Leo Babauta
Right now, as you read this article, you are being held up by an invisible, magic web.
Consider the following, with gratitude in your heart:
You are reading an article written for you by me, sent across the Internet thanks to the work of thousands and thousands of engineers and power workers and workers in computer factories, using a computer device produced by thousands of people around the world.
You are alive because you ate food and drink produced and d…
A lot of folks have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s alright, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you understand that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a little part of our lives.
With that said, below are a few tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work better than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies show that Classical music and new age music work great.
5. Have some time out for yourself, relax and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an excellent habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you simply do. In the event you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling sad. Try and practice them each and everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these quick exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.