By Leo Babauta
Over the last five years or so, as I’ve worked with thousands of people on changing their habits, I’ve come to a realization: dissatisfaction with ourselves is a pretty universal phenomenon.
We are unhappy with who we are, sometimes in small ways but often in very fundamental ways.
We doubt ourselves, feel inadequate, dislike our looks, criticize our failing harshly, feel uncertain about whether we’re worthy of praise or love.
The result i…
A lot of people have days when they are down, broken and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s okay, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. What is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.
With that being said, below are a few tips to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies show that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Have some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are down. Try and practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.