“Every moment is a choice to begin again.” ~Unknown
By day three of the five-day silent retreat I found myself wondering, “Why did I do this again?”
The pain of sitting in lotus position for eight hours a day was testing my patience. I was frustrated that my mind would only be still for a few moments, before …
A lot of folks have days when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
Although you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and see what works for you. Analyses have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a fantastic habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them each and everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these quick exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.