“The only thing that punk rock should ever really mean is not sitting around and waiting for the lights to go green.” ~Frank Turner
I was exactly where I should have been on the afternoon I jumped. I was four years post-undergrad at an elite private college, halfway through a Masters Degree from the nation’s top …
People have days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s alright, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies show that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. If you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.