By Leo Babauta
One of the most beautiful things I’ve ever experienced was opening my heart and making powerful, intimate connections with 20+ strangers in the cloud rainforest of Ecuador last year.
It was this experience of connection and vulnerability, mindfulness and reflecting on life purpose, that inspired me to create my own live, intimate experience: the Zen Habits Mindfulness Retreat in San Francisco (April 21-23, 2017).
I learned through my cloud rainforest…
A lot of people have days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s OK, you must have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Although you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are a few guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice every day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies show that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. In the event you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.