“[The] excitement we derive from a work of art is mostly the excitement of seeing connections that did not exist before, of seeing quite different aspects of life unified through a pattern.”
People have days when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s OK, you need to have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
Even though you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain kinds of music work better than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Analyses show that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a great habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your head and you do have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Try and practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take any chances.