By Leo Babauta
We’re constantly struggling with the past, in so many ways:
Mistakes we’ve made that we regret or that make us feel bad about ourselves
Anger about something someone did to us
Frustration about how things have progressed up until now
A wish that things turned out differently
Stories about what happened that make us sad, depressed, angry, hurt
An argument that we had that keeps spinning around in our heads
Something someone just did (a minute ago) that we’…
Everyone has times when they are down, broken and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s alright, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. What is black without white?
While you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a little part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain types of music work cooler than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music and new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an outstanding habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Try and practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take a chance.