In praise of the precious miraculousness of the mundane.
“Do you need a prod? Do you need a little darkness to get you going?” Mary Oliver asked in her ode to living with maximum aliveness, writt…
People have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s alright, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and is effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work cooler than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all with what you do. If you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Don’t forget there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your head and you do have the power to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are feeling down. Try and practice them each and everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.