“In every loss there is a gain, as in every gain there is a loss, and with each ending comes a new beginning.” ~Buddhist Proverb
Four years ago, on a typically cold and overcast day in upstate NY, I found myself scurrying around preparing for a two-week trip to Kenya and Tanzania, which left the next day.
People have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s alright, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. What is black without white?
While you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, below are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, simple to practice every day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just music you like. Certain types of music work cooler than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Research show that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a great habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. In the event that you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain into the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are sad. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take a chance.