By Leo Babauta
Our lives are spent building up to more important moments, later, the moments when we’ll be happy.
But when those moments come, we’re not happier. In fact, we’re already looking ahead to the next big moments: an upcoming trip, a big project being completed, meeting up with friends, getting that great thing you ordered online, finding your next favorite book, meal, drink, experience.
What if that wonderful moment we’ve been waiting for is th…
Everyone has times when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s alright, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Although you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that said, here are some tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just music you enjoy. Certain kinds of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work best.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an outstanding habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event that you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Attempt to practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take a chance.