“The future is always modifiable by our actions.”
– Dr. Phil Zimbardo
Dr. Philip Zimbardo (@PhilZimbardo) is one of the most distinguished psychologists in the world and a professor emeritus at Stanford University. He is arguably best known for his 1971 Stanfor…
Everyone has times when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your happiness with. What is black without white?
While you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of life.
With that being said, here are a few guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you enjoy. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain kinds of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and see what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music plus new age music work best.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event that you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are down. Try and practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.