Living with bipolar disorder often means taking medications regularly. That alone is a tough pill to swallow. Finding the right medicine “cocktail” often involves a month (or longer) journey of trials and adjustments. But once you find the right medicine and dose(s), taking your medication every day, as prescribed, drives the recovery and mood maintenance engines. Missing medicine or taking it at wildly different times each day makes it hard for the medicine to do its job and for …
People have days when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s OK, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.
With that being said, below are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is an excellent habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you simply do. In the event you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just seek out “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up while you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling sad. Try and practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.