Alan Watts was one of the most influential philosophers throughout the 20th century. He was a huge force in bringing Buddhism and Eastern philosophy into the West during the 1950s and 1960s, and spent much of his life drawing lessons from Buddhism and applying them to modern life.
In his classic book Psychotherapy East and West, Watts compare…
Everyone has days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling all that happy.
That’s OK, you must have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you know that feeling down is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you like. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is a fantastic habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you simply do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but do not just use them when you are sad. Try and practice them everyday, get them to be a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.