By Leo Babauta
Many of us are trapped in our old, hardened eating patterns.
In fact, we might not even be aware of the patterns, but we do know that 1) we’d like to get healthier or leaner; 2) we have a hard time making eating changes; 3) we don’t always know how to change.
Those are good realizations! It means we have to humble ourselves, and find a way to put ourselves into an area of uncertainty and discomfort in order to change.
Some common eating patterns…
A lot of people have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s okay, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a small part of our lives.
With that being said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the hole. They are simple to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Points like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Analyses show that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Take some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an outstanding habit to take up. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up while you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Try to practice them each and everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final take note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.