A playful illustrated inquiry into whether mutual attentiveness is enough to dissolve enmity into friendship.
“The more you know about another person’s story, the less possible it is to see that person as your enemy,” the wise and wonderful Parker Palmer wrote in his treatise on healing the heart of society. Yet, paradoxically enough, it is often our stories …
Everyone has days when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s alright, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you know when you are content. You must to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Simple to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you enjoy. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work cooler than others, but experiment to see what works for you. Research show that Classical music and new age music work best.
5. Have some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an outstanding habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event that you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain in to the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside person. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up while you are down, but don’t just use them when you are down. Attempt to practice them each and everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.