By Leo Babauta
I recently did a challenge with my friend Jesse of Samovar Tea: check email just twice a day (at 10am and 4pm) for 30 minutes a session.
In addition, we couldn’t check email in the morning unless we did an hour on a specific project that morning. It ended up that on most mornings, I couldn’t do an hour of that project, so I only checked email in the afternoons.
What amazed me is that I only needed about 20 minutes a day to process email, if I focused a…
Everyone has days when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s OK, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of our lives.
With that being said, here are some guidelines to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice every day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I view the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Research show that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Meditation is an outstanding habit to develop. It will serve you in all with what you do. In the event you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your benefit. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the power to overcome your perception.
These guidelines will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are down. Try to practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take any chances.