This is a guest post by Erick Godsey at Metaprogramming, a fantastic site that’s described as “Where Science and and Self-Development Take Psilocybin Together.” Check it out!
“Man can know himself only in so far as he can become conscious of himself.”
One of life’s truths is that voice…
A lot of folks have times when they are down, worn out and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s OK, you need to have times like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are content. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of life.
With that being said, below are a few tips to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the dumps. They are easy to do, easy to practice every day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Listen to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work cooler than other music, but experiment and see what works for you. Research have shown that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a great habit to take up. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that entice your brain in the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Try to practice them everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be amazed at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This really is your life and don’t take a chance.