By Leo Babauta
Underlying much of what we do is an uncertainty, an anxiety, a fear, doubts, dissatisfaction …
And we react to these anxieties, dissatisfaction and uncertainty in so many unhelpful ways: we seek distraction, we eat unhealthy food, we procrastinate, we get caught in a cycle of anxiety and unhappiness, we lash out at others, we dwell in our loneliness, and then we get in denial about it all.
If we could learn to deal with the basic anxiety of life, we would ha…
A lot of people have times when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s okay, you must have days like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You must to have something to contrast your pleasure with. Precisely what is black without white?
While you understand that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a tiny part of life.
With that said, here are some tips to help you feel better while you are feeling down in the dumps. They are simple to do, easy to practice each day plus they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing nicely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work cooler than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Research have demostrated that Classical music and new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a book, take action for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is an outstanding habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Each of our outside work is simply a mirror of our inside person. Remember there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, know that it is all in your thoughts and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up if you are down, but don’t just use them when you are down. Try and practice them each and everyday, cause them to become a habit. You will be surprised at how these simple exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t appear to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.