By Leo Babauta
I’m excited to announce my first retreat: the Zen Habits Mindfulness Retreat in San Francisco!
The urban retreat will be held over a weekend, on April 21-23, 2017. It’s aimed at teaching you key mindfulness skills that can help you transform your life.
There are limited …
A lot of folks have times when they are down, broken and just not feeling everything happy.
That’s OK, you need to have days and nights like this, otherwise how would you understand when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your happiness with. What is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.
With that said, below are a few guidelines to help you feel better when you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, simple to practice each day and so they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy will flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Certainly, just smile. Easy to do and effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Stuff like “I feel good”, “Positive energy moves right through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Pay attention to some music that you like. It doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you like. Certain types of music work better than other music, but experiment to see what works for you. Research have shown that Classical music plus new age music work nicely.
5. Have some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, do something for yourself.
6. Meditate. Deep breathing is a fantastic habit to build up. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event you are one who has a difficult time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that cajole your brain into the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
Our outside work is simply a reflection of our inside world. Do not forget that there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are feeling down, know that it is all in your head and you do have the capacity to change your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but don’t just use them when you are sad. Try to practice them each and everyday, make them a habit. You will be surprised at how these easy exercises will keep the rainy days away.
On a final notice, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, you have to see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.