“Anger is often what pain looks like when it shows itself in public.”
– Krista Tippett
Krista Tippett (@KristaTippett) is a Peabody Award-winning broadcaster and New York Times bestselling author. She created and hosts the public radio program …
A lot of folks have times when they are down, worn-out and just not feeling quiet happy.
That’s OK, you need to have days like this, otherwise how would you know when you are happy. You need to have something to contrast your joy with. Precisely what is black without white?
Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s make an effort to make it a little part of our lives.
With that said, here are some tips to help you feel better if you are feeling down in the hole. They are easy to do, easy to practice every day and they work!
1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is straight your energy can flow and when your body energy is flowing freely, you can flow.
2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Simple to do and is very effective.
3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy goes through my body”, “I start to see the good in all”.
4. Tune in to some music that you like. Keep in mind that it doesn’t need to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work better than other music, but experiment and find out what works for you. Studies show that Classical music plus new age music work great.
5. Consider some time out for yourself, chill and read a nice book, make a move for yourself.
6. Meditate. Yoga is a fantastic habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you do. In the event you are one who has difficulty sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just look for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.
The outside work is simply a mirror of our inside world. Keep in mind there is no reality just your perception of it. Use this truth to your advantage. Whenever you are sad, realize that it is all in your mind and you do have the capacity to overcome your perception.
These tips will lift you up when you are down, but do not just use them when you are feeling down. Try and practice them everyday, make them a habit. You will be amazed at how these easy exercises will keep out the rainy days away.
On a final note, if you are in a serious depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is certainly your life and don’t take a chance.